Monday, January 16, 2012

A side project ~ Homemade dishwashing detergent

I came across this "recipe" on Pinterest. We were out of  dishwasher detergent, so I decided to give it a try!

I'm trying to get in touch with my 'crunchy granola' side :), and save some $$ in the process (so I can buy more bows and tutus..ha ha)!

DIY Natural Dishwasher Detergent

1 c Borax
1 c washing soda
1/2 c kosher salt (I used regular table salt. I read that the kosher salt can be too abrasive for some dishes)
1/2 citric acid (double this if you have hard water - which we do!) (I used Lemishine which is found with the rest of the dishwasher detergent stuff at the store. You can also find citric acid in the canned goods aisle.)


Mix everything together and store in a plastic container. I doubled the recipe. Use 1 tablespoon per load. The recipe also recommends using white vinegar in the rinse aid compartment of the dishwasher to help keep dishes from getting spotty. I didn't try washing my dishes with the white vinegar yet because we still have some store bought stuff to use up.



The recipe will clump, so it is recommended to tie some rice in a cheese cloth to put in with the detergent. We don't have a cheese cloth, so I just used a paper towel and hoped for the best! Ha ha.



We were happy with the outcome! Our dishes were just as clean as before...if not more! We'll be using this from now on!

Link to DIY Dishwasher Detergent Recipe

I found a recipe for laundry detergent, so when we are out of the detergent we have now, I'm trying it!

No comments:

Post a Comment