Thursday, January 26, 2012

Recipe # 13 ~ Avocado Spinach Egg Salad

Avocados are another super food that I absolutely love! They were on sale at the store this week, hence my many avocado recipes!!

I never really gave much thought about what we ate (as far as nutritional content) until Connor started eating solid foods. Of course, we want him to have the best & most healthy foods we can provide! Not only for him, but for ourselves so that we stay healthy for him as well! Connor is not a picky eater, and we are so thankful for that! He eats pretty much whatever we put in front of him...if he's in the mood for it. I've had days where he'll gobble down Brussels sprouts & then the next day he won't touch them. Some days it can be a task to figure out what he's hungry for.

Here's why I love avocado (from http://www.avocadohealthbenefits.net/ ):

~ Eating avocado is like eating a whole meal!! This fruit (yes, it's a fruit!!) is packed with meat proteins, fat oil, fibers, antioxidants, & vitamins and minerals from vegetables.
~ Eating avocados helps prevent a number of cardiovascular diseases.
~ One cup of avocado gives you 23 percent of your daily recommended dose of folic acid (great for pregnant women!).
~ The oils in avocado help prevent breast cancer and lower cholesterol!
~ A diet heavy with avocado can help your eye sight! Avocados are packed full of lutein!
~ It helps you lose weight!! Avocados fill you up and keep you full which can help reduce the temptation of sweets!

Avocado Spinach Egg Salad

Ingredients:
7 eggs, hardboiled
4 oz plain greek yogurt
2 avocados
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 c baby spinach
hot red pepper flakes, to taste


1. Obviously hardboil and peel your eggs!! Mash your eggs up with the greek yogurt. Sprinkle some salt & pepper on top.






2. Peel & pit your avocados and mash them. I ended up using my food processor.





3. Now all you do is combine your egg & avocado. Add a cup of spinach (I tore mine into smaller pieces), celery, red pepper flakes, & more salt and pepper if you wish. That's it!! So easy!



Connor and I had this for lunch today. He ate an entire half of a sandwich! I wasn't sure if I could get away with the spinach, but he ate every bite!



The verdict: I loved this!! I was having a craving for an egg salad or chicken salad and this was definitely just as yummy! I actually made it yesterday so some of the avocado turned a little brown, but I just scooped the brown stuff out and it tasted perfectly fine!

Link to Avocado Spinach Egg Salad recipe

Just to let everyone know. I did a re-do of my broccoli quinoa casserole last night (with the correct amount of mayo!!) and it turned out great!! Also, the avocado pasta I made a few nights ago reheated just fine even though the recipe warned against it.

This is it for my interesting recipes until next week...

No comments:

Post a Comment